Saturday 28 January 2012

Brouhaha....

It is 4:00 pm on a Saturday and I'm thoroughly bored. HM is snoozing at home with H and P. P was administered a dose of Calmpose this morning after the neighbours complained about her incessant barking. And by neighbours, I mean people who live as far as two buildings away. Yes, they can hear her. The problem is that P doesn't just bark. She cries. Anyone who has heard a dog crying will vouch that it isn't the most pleasant sound. It is plain annoying. Anyway, P is probably asleep at home and HM and I are calling up our friends and vet to get a permanent solution. One friend has suggested neutering. Don't even get me started on how ridiculous her suggestion is. But HM is ready to do that too. Anything to prevent us from getting thrown out of our rented apartment. Desperate times call for desperate measures, no?
____________________________________________

Bimbo served all of us some fiery red Misal today. I can only say that it brought back memories of the Devil's Chicken Shawarma. I downed two glasses of iced tea after today's gastronomic adventure. I couldn't even say 'No'. I mean, bimbo is going away and I wanted to celebrate.
_____________________________________________

S is having her very first Haldi Kumkum ceremony tomorrow. And as per Maharashtrian traditions, she will be decked up in 'halwyache dagine' which means jewellery made out of sugar. I had one of those too. MIL had bought some cute sugar jewellery for me. She has preserved some of it. I had some pieces with me, but the ants got to it. Can you blame them? I mean, I can imagine what they must be saying in antese, "This for eating! not for wearing!" before devouring all of it. Anyway, S has invited me and I am too tired to go. If I don't, I will never hear the end of it. I have grown to dislike social commitments so much, its disturbing. I have decided to drag myself to her place if need be. I really need to go meet some people other than HM and the dogs. The dogs are technically ruled out. So essentially my social life consists of my husband who is pretty much unavoidable. I mean, we're both stuck with each other for a lifetime. Can't really avoid each other, can we? Anyway, this ceremony requires everyone to dress up in a sari. I have already started recalling the exact whereabouts of all the safety pins I'm going to need to keep my sari in place. For me, the availability of a good sari, blouse etc. is not important. Everything depends upon the safety pins. No safety pins, no wearing a sari. Simple.
__________________________________________________


 Below is a poem by cult poet and novelist Charles Bukowski (1920 - 1994)

from Love Is a Dog from Hell: Poems, 1974-1977


there is a loneliness in this world so great 
that you can see it in the slow movement of 
the hands of a clock. 

people so tired 
mutilated 
either by love or no love. 

people just are not good to each other 
one on one. 

the rich are not good to the rich 
the poor are not good to the poor. 

we are afraid. 

our educational system tells us 
that we can all be 
big-ass winners. 

it hasn’t told us 
about the gutters 
or the suicides. 

or the terror of one person 
aching in one place 
alone 

untouched 
unspoken to
watering a plant. 
________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment